This winter weather can put you in the mood for some comfort food to keep you warm and we’ve got the perfect on plan recipe for you. Enjoy!
Lean and Green Entree | Low Carb Chicken & Dumplings
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- To prepare the dumplings, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread the riced cauliflower on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. When done, remove from oven and allow to cool. Keep oven on at 400°F and set baking sheet lined with parchment paper aside for later use.
- In a kitchen towel, squeeze the cauliflower to remove any excess moisture. Mix together the squeezed cauliflower with the egg and salt.
- Shape the cauliflower mix into 8 little dumplings and place back on baking sheet. Bake for five minutes.
- To prepare the chicken stew, combine the chicken, chicken stock and a half teaspoon of salt in a pot with a tight closing lid. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, asparagus and cream cheese to the stock, bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pull the chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to the sauce and heat through.
- To serve, place 2 dumplings into each bowl and top with an equal amount of stew, about 1½ to 2 cups per bowl.