Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker recipe? This one hits the spot too with hearty vegetables and some lean to give you a tasty and filling meal.
Lean and Green Entree | Slow Cooker Italian Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups cauliflower rice or broccoli rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 tsp olive oil
- 4 red bell peppers, tops removed, seeds and ribs removed
- 3 tbsp reduced fat grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and break it into very small pieces using a wooden spoon. Season the turkey with salt and pepper and continue stirring. Allow the turkey to cook until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until garlic becomes aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the cauliflower rice, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning and stir to fully incorporate. Add a ½ cup of water to the turkey mixture and stir to combine. Remove pan from heat.
- Distribute the cooked turkey filling evenly amongst the 4 red peppers. Pour a ½ cup of water into the slow cooker and then add the 4 stuffed peppers. Cook the peppers on low for 4½ to 5 hours or until very tender. When done, carefully remove each pepper with tongs. When ready to serve, top each pepper with ¾ tablespoon of parmesan cheese.