Stew is a winter staple and this delicious recipe is the perfect spin on this staple. Enjoy!
Lean & Green Entree | Italian Seafood Stew
- 1/2 lb. bay scallops
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. lump crabmeat
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, cut into fine strips
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 8 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, half length-wise
- 1/2 lb. tilapia, diced
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- In a saucepan, sweat the red pepper flakes in the olive oil for about 30 seconds.
- Add the scallions, fennel, and green pepper, and continue to sweat for about 3 to 4 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add the tomatoes, including the juice, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 8 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Combine the halved shrimp and diced tilapia with the scallops in a bowl and season with salt and pepper; mix very carefully.
- Add the seasoned seafood to the simmering tomatoes, bring to a near boil, and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the crabmeat and basil, stir very carefully, and heat through.
- Divide stew into 4 equal portions (about 2 cups per serving), garnish with basil leaves, and serve hot.